Tuesday, April 28, 2015

3D modelling: stamp part 3


I feel I have come a long way since "part 0", it is funny to look back at it.

Progress:
Tested the 3D printer's resolution at a small scale. The ultimaker is much too rough at 2 cm. 


All the pieces together, the dish fits the mold perfectly.


 Closeup of the ~5cm print (blue) The design is almost recognizable at this scale, but the printer is still too rough for such a delicate logo. I'm considering making a simplified version, but I'd prefer not to. I will have to learn how to use the "roland modela 3d plotter mdx-15" and engrave the stamp surface in wood instead, I'm told the plotter is more suited for such tiny work, though I have yet to see what it can do.


 I tested the mold as a stamp just to see if the plastic can function as a stamp surface, the answer is "meh, depends" I had to sand it down to even leave an imprint, it looks flat to the human eye, but it isn't flat enough. I used simple watercolour to test, the plastic was oddly hydrophobic, but it may be because i put the stamp in stamping paint in an earlier test and washed it with soap. I'm not sure what part made it hydrophobic or if it is the plastic.


As a bonus, I attempted to use the 3D pen (a bit like a glue gun) It is true that they are difficult to use. Very unintuitive, like modelling with unpredictable gravity adhering spaghetti. Doing useful things with it probably will require a fair bit of practice, for now I will use it to weld 3D prints.


This marks the temporary end of my stampmaking adventures. My next step to concluding this successfully is learning the new machine, but there is going to be some time before I will do that as I have other priorities at the moment. At least now I know how to 3D print on my own, and enough blender to extrude most kinds of models. It was more enjoyable than I expected and I will definitely come back to 3D printing for fun.

Good day!